Growing up, I was never a big fan of vanilla. This recipe restored my faith! It light, moist and really easy to make. You don’t even have to have it with the cream, just add a few strawberries:-)
What you need:
- 225 grams cake flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 350 gram heavy cream, 40% cold
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 225 grams superfine sugar
preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, twice to make it easier to incorporate. Set aside.
whip the heavy cold cream until stiff peaks form. Add all 3 eggs at once, and mix for about 30 seconds(do not over whisk)
Gradually add the sugar, a little at a time, about 30 seconds all together. sift in the 1/3 of the flour mixture to the cream mixture with a spatula until the flour disappears. Add the rest of the flour mixture in 2 editions and continue folding and mixing until all traces of flour disappear. Add the vanilla bean paste, using a spatula. Scoop the batter into 2 x 8″cake pans and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
For the buttercream:
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 Oz.
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine (softened)
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 4-8 tablespoons milk(depending on how stiff you want you buttercream to be. (I sometimes use water instead of milk)
In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
Gradually add milk or water; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Original Cake Recipe:�https://www.passionforbaking.com/blog/2017/05/31/strawberry-shortcake-2/